Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Second Opinion: Good Things Stay Clear cleanser

The item: Good Things Stay Clear anti-blemish cleanser.

The review: Face Goop.

The second opinion: As previously suggested, I have trouble with my skin*. The review of this cleanser called it 'the exorcist, in a face wash' and said it got rid of the reviewer's spots in three short days and I immediately thought, as is my wont in response to such glowing terms: yes! I will have a piece of that action. Also it was cheaper than my current facewash at only £4.99**. Good value.

The verdict: this stuff is really pretty good. It smells nice and lathers up even without the demonic lathering agent it doesn't have and leaves the skin feeling nice and clean. I think it has made a difference to my skin, which has felt clearer and smoother, and the couple of spots I have had have felt less angry than usual. More importantly the spots that have been haunting my upper chest for the last few weeks have gone, which I attribute to the additional of the cleanser to my shower routine.

The drawbacks: I seem to have gone through a bottle pretty quick, negating the saving on using a cheaper cleanser because I had to buy another one after a month (I suspect this may be because I merrily squeeze out far too much twice a day and will be watching my consumption with the new bottle). Another drawback is that while the bottle is pretty cute looking, when I got to the end and started squidging the tube about to get more out, the purple whatever out of which the label is constructed came off on my hands, in the puddle of cleanser I was preparing to stick all over my face; inconvenient, and meant I chucked a bottle that probably had a fair bit left because of the hassle of trying to get to it. I've been sticking to the instructions, which are to massage the cleanser in for at least a minute morning and night, and to be frank have my suspicions about whether this is what's improved my skin rather than the cleanser itself (I should be scientific about this and do a control trial with Pond's or something, but am afraid my face will explode again, so will sacrifice my evidence-based principles***).

The main issue I can see is that I don't know if Boots haven't quite flung themselves behind the brand or something, but the Good Things... range is a) exclusive to Boots and b) hard to find in-store, by which I mean there are three medium-sized Boots stores within five minutes of where I work (yeah, I know, but I do work near Oxford Street), and only one of them stocks it. I don't know what the stock levels are like in places where there aren't two or three branches per square mile, but potentially this means it can't quite be the cupboard staple a £5 or less Boots range really should be, and leaves me with a fear that they will discontinue it at any moment.

Overall: have bought again, will buy again. If I can.




* I went to the doctor about this (yes, trivial, wondrous-NHS-destroyed-by-the-worried-well etc, but moving to London had apparently caused my skin to go into a several months long scream of rage and having throbbing pustules all over my chin was doing nothing for my confidence in a new, client-facing job) and got them to put me on Dianette, the version of the Pill indicated for crappy skin, and it did work, but then they were horrified I spent six months on it and made me come off it, which I assumed was something to do with blood pressure but which my friend the student nurse later told me was because it's more expensive (I don't know if she's right about this). And since then my skin has been better than it was but still overall displeasing.
** My usual is the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish, which gets raves everywhere and wins lots of stuff in magazines, and it's fine but wasn't working miracles anymore.
*** Note added 8/11/2010: sadly for me, I was given opportunity to test this via a confluence of events too boring to go into but which left me on a train to the Family of Virtue without all the stuff I'd packed, including this cleanser, and had to spend two days using some stuff left in the homestead some time previously (no names, but Johnson & Johnson: it's your fault). Two short days. And my skin has reacted with the angry petulant wrath of the violently betrayed. My chin has broken out dreadfully. I got home and clutched the Good Things to my bosom like Lady Mary clutched the Turkish bloke to hers (Downton Abbey spoiler: so tight HE DIED). I take it all back, dear beautiful Good Things Stay Clear, if you will only fix my fizzog.

No comments:

Post a Comment